YO SY! WERE YOU @??? NEED SOME MORE OLD SKOOL STUFF

DSK1
Go to Top of Page

EniGmA.one.love.
Banana Skinny

Ivory Coast
252 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  4:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For real! I've been hankerin' for another one, where's 1983 at?

Weirdos Rocking Society!
Twenty-1-Oh.
Go to Top of Page

Sy
Administrator (NYC Fat Cap)

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  3:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I BE INTERVIEW HUSTLIN...PATIENCE MY BROS THE NEXT WILL NOT DISAPPOINT.....TRUST.

Go to Top of Page

DVS DSK
Gold Dot

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TRY & HURRUP!! READY TO SELL MY TOASTER FOR ANOTHER ONE

DSK1
Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  7:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DVS DSK

TRY & HURRUP!! READY TO SELL MY TOASTER FOR ANOTHER ONE

I ONLY ACCEPT CASH MONEEEEEEE...AWWW MAYBE A FEW STARTER JACKETS...LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STAND BY.

Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  4:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The act of being Unique is separating yourself apart from the Main Stream that’s exactly what a Writer named “UNEEK” did in the 1980’s and As a member of one of the most highly respected and most wanted crews of the Era UNEEK and his Band Of Brothers took the term “Getting Up” to new levels…Always pushing the Style envelope UNEEK continues to exercise his creative talents through painting and wood working projects.. if I had to define Him and His crew it would have to be Unwavering Street Credit something that’s not easily given but earned.

“UNEEK”
INTERVIEW

1.What do write? UNEEK UNE theUneeKartist

2.Describe your Style and what Graffiti Art Means to you?
That’s two separate questions altogether…
(a) Style: My style is Mockent (aka) Mok Style. It is a style invented by Scarce, coined by Rape and developed by Scarce and myself. In my description it is a “mechanical- organic” style. Instead of the traditional BBoy characters and WildStyle letters, the characters focused on things such as insects and reptiles and letter styles on organics and nature. Tags were to be clean and fluent, done effortlessly, without looking, upside down and even backwards at times.
(b) Graffiti to me: Free Expression, Creativity, Adrenaline, Escape…..
In my old bedroom growin up, amongst the pieces and bombing all over the walls, there lay a Rest In Peace list scrawled in pilot that ran top to bottom dating 1985 – 1991. I live in the memory of those and try to learn and credit their mistakes as well as their contributions. I am who I am due in great part to graffiti.

3.Was Uneek your only Graff Name?
No. Names would change regularly. Personally, I always found it fun to rock another name and then be in a crowd of people talkin like “who the all fours is that?” But really, it was a blend of things… to re-prove yourself, break the monotony, maybe try out a different style, busted too much, throw the vandal squad off track or even Just 4 Fun. Crew names would change as well and usually a new crew name warranted a new name.

4.Pilot, SG7 and Griffin in that order does that sound about right?
I’m gonna have to go Meanstreak, Pilot, Griffin (and a scriber on the low). Homemades were fashionable, but messy. The kool kids rocked the illies, but that blagoavich was like gold and you had better hold it down.

5.What year did you Start Writing and when did you retire from bombing?
I do not claim to be the first on the scene nor the most up. I was not part of the CAR crew when Sneak and Vandal got busted although I did bust a tag with them from time to time.
I first became aware of Hip-Hop and started tagging my neighborhood in 1983. These were the days I remember breakin crews start showin up after grammar school and battling out front and in the schoolyard at Patrick Henry on the northside. Kids would set up cardboard in front on the sidewalks and come out practicing. When they would go in the house for a minute I would bust a tag on their cardboard. One of my friends was tryin to learn to spin and his older brother was a breaker with the original Fresh Boys. I was always into art and my mother worked at a fabric and macramé store and brought me home a bunch of Vogarts. I started doin jean jackets for some of the crew. My first piece was in 1984, under the bridge of Horner Park by Montrose…it said MOM, by Kid Traxx and Kid Comic.
My older cousin grew up in Logan Square and was part of a crew called CMC…I was kind of a shorty that can throw it up but more by relation to my cousin.
My life’s tragic twist came in 1985, when I woke up to find myself living by the Brickyard. From the day I learned how to take the busses into the old neighborhood it was where I was at. Why not bomb the bus when your on about 6 a day?
The first time hitting trains was in 1985 and 1986 was my “Official” start of Bombing trains.
Retired from Bombing in 1991. Just out of high school, already caught a couple cases and had to make a living for real now. Switched focus to music at that time, most of my crew did the same…but never left behind the Art.

6.Favorite Bus and Trains lines to rock?
Busses: 56 Western, it ran all the way South and Back….Trains: Everyone likes to claim the big lines and Howard, in my eye, was the place you came to show your blagoavich , but I think the most fun I ever had was on the Ravenswood where I learned the ropes, adapted my styles and developed into a real “Riter”. I loved the elevated tracks and the rooftops, and the alleys, the “X”.

7.What part of the city did you grow up in?
I grew up on the Northside near Ravenswood, but moved out by the Brickyard at the age of 13.

8.Was it a Hood Shock moving from Ravenswood to the Riis Park area?
I had moved around a few times as a child, but always lived in a mixed northside neighborhood and went to public schools all my life. Now I’m in 8th grade, feelin on the other side of the city and put in a catholic school. The neighborhood is pretty much segregated, and the bangers wanna kick my ass for pieces and bombing on the old factories and freights behind Brickyard…. Shocking? Kinda I guess.

9.I remember you using two distinctive writing styles the first when spelling out your whole name and second being the unique (no pun intended) connecting cursev used for Une…was that something you came up with or just following the trend at the time?
I never necessarily intended to keep the name Uneek (probably another reason for all the name changes..indecisive), but having initials seemed natural from the start and UnK was Unknowns and UN just felt incomplete somehow. Une felt a bit weird at first especially when most initials were in the proper manner of dropping the vowels, but it just so happened to work when Scarce put us down on the E thing…everyone else started changing their initials to the point where people were battling for the E’s…good times. Some might have tried to take UNEEK over the years…but no one touches UNE.

10.How did you get down with CAR crew?
It was a process, a recruitment so to speak. I took a lot of busses, Car was one of the only crews that put as much emphasis on busses as they did on trains. A new crew was forming and Scarce asked me to be down. We changed names twice after before Car was revived.

11.Was CAR the only crew you claimed back then?
I had been in a few small crews prior, but they were more like passer-by crews that eventually melted into the more solid crews. I have some crews that I roll with and rep from time to time, but even within them my identity is CaR. ONE CREW!

12.In the beginning Some writers remember seeing CAR tags with no names was it a point to put up the Crew first to let it be known?
Psychology…..Crew comes first.

13.Name all the Writers in CAR that you can remember.
1983- Kid Krash, Kid Slice, Lazy183, Super Krash and Lil Fresh.
1984-85 Super Krash/ Scrawl Master Scarce, Lil Fresh/ Cause, Vandal, Sneak , Repel, Madness, Nasty, Flex, Dan1 and Hope.
1986-1990 Seph, Uneek, Mane, Meek, Rape, Seek, Kcin, Deevo, FC, and DE…kid krash was ACW but was also one of the original founders of CAR.

14.Did CAR go to war with anybody and who in there right mind would of takin on that challenge?
If it wasn’t a crew it was the city…felt like we were warring all the time, it helped drive us.

15.When the Vandal Squad labeled you guys “Public Enemy Number One” did you say to yourself Dam this is the real deal and did your Bombing decrease or increase because of it?
I first said “Dam, this is the real deal” when I heard the news of KRE8’s demise. Of course when you have heat on you, you gotta chill…but crew always rocked.

16.Is it fair to say that CAR followed the doctrine Not the Biggest or Beautifulest but more?
No, it really isn’t. We felt that some of our “stylish throw-ups” could rival some peoples piecing letters, the fact that we can throw down our blagoavich fast is due to skill, it was up because we were hardcore, and it didn’t take a crew of dozens to do it. The misconception is that the more heads you have the more the crew gets up…WRONG. Remember, I was a Marine, but my first “fire team” was a 4 man front, we ran that blagoavich like SEALS takin an objective, ergo MORE.
17.Do you still keep in touch with any of the Old-timers?
Scarce and Rape every now and then, we were friends outside of graffiti as well and even though our lives may have went different paths, they will always be my brothers. Just ran into Sneak for the first time in like 20 something years, that was a trip. Other than crew I can’t get rid of these old-timers, but I gotta say they make me feel young again!

18.If you could Paint with any writer from the Past or Present who would that person be?
I’m not that guy, not really the idolizing type. I’ve done joint pieces with some, but I’ve painted next to and in company of most in Chicago that I could ever dream of. I just like helping and being part of tight productions.

19.You mention the Ravenswood as being the line that made you into a “Real Writer” what was different about that system from the rest?
The elevated system, the way it snaked through the neighborhoods, if you can brave the turn off Damen, you can run the tracks all the way to Southport, awesome rooftops and plenty of hiding spots.

20.What was your favorite year in Graff and Why?
86-89 was like a long train ride on rollercoaster tracks.
I mean, I don’t know what high school (or life) would have been like for me without Hip Hop and Graffiti in the 80’s. When kids were hanging around their neighborhoods we were the ones to venture out, had peeps in all parts of the city before the internet even existed. It saved me…from the banging, from the hardcore drugs, from the demise of myself within the life around me. Those years were my growing phase to what I have become, and its funny but more people know me by my tag than by my real name to this day.

21.Do you remember what you were doing when you learned Vandal (Car) and HATE (Acw) passed away?
I heard about Vandal a few days after, he had already quit bombing and wasn’t around as much. Scarce and I used to run into him an Flex while troopin in about 1987-88, they were punk rockers and doin music. Vandal was one of those writers that set the bar for bombing.
I was at work when I got the call that there had been an accident concerning Eric and to meet at the hospital.
We all had many friends growin up that died under various circumstances, but I think HATEs passing truly crushed us all.
There was a time in high school that I used to date the sister of Hates girlfriend. I used to come across him walking baby Eric in Riis park frequently. There were also a time or two that I had helped babysit. Even when he stopped bombing he always remained Crew…Fam.

22.You credit Scarce as being a mentor in the Graff game give us some insight into the world of the Scrawl Master:
His name is carried in whispers on the lips of demons.

23.What is the one thing that had to be upside down when Rockin the lines?
A SY tag…hahaha
(Hey Now)

24.Was there anything or place that you wouldn’t tag on?
Churches.

25.Was there a time in you Graff career you became angry or disillusion with art from?
Still do to this day. Call it whatever…we’re all culpable. I mean, there has got to be something wrong with all of us to get the satisfaction we do from what we do. To take the criticism of mainstream art, face the fines and jail time that come associated with a career’s longevity…and keep doin’ it?...and you know it aint for the money!

26.How has your Artwork transformed through out the years?
Well, being a carpenter for the better part of my adulthood, I find myself expressing my art through woodworking.
I paint permission walls now, which is kind of the flip-side of my upbringing, but I get to do the pieces that I never did back then and help contribute to those coming up.

27.Are you working on any projects at the present time?
Plenty on the table, let you know when I finish one.

28.I noticed that you like to lay down the lyrics is there a career in the Music field in the future?
I seriously doubt it. I’ve dabbled in music almost as long as graffiti, but that truly is just a hobby. I let my chance slip long ago. I like creating on all levels, and I find that putting my thoughts in words and rhymes from time to time helps me relieve some of my stresses in life, and it’s fun.

29.Describe some of the your likes and dislikes of todays Chi-town Graff scene.
The dedication to the art form.
The amounts of collaborations in burners goin up.
The fact that we still have a heavy underground of soldiers still doin it the way it should be done and being recognized worldwide.
Dislikes: Can you get in the military without going to bootcamp? Remember, we the Soldiers of Hip Hop.

30.What the heck is Level 3 Mockent ?
Just 2 levels beyond human comprehension.

31.How do want your Graff Legacy to be remembered?
In the drips of a fat cap!

Any Shots outs?
Past…Present…Fallen

Pieces.

*Thanks for your time Oldschool it was honor working with you now and back then on the lines....Sy.

Go to Top of Page

W1DGET_THE_M1DGET
Pink Dot

Philippines
1122 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  8:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great interview...

" How can you join the military without goin to bootcamp"....

best quote i heard in awhile.

The Coolest Guy west of the lake...and you can take that to the bank.
Go to Top of Page

S1

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(In the voice of JEDI YODA) UNE, hmm, props receive, you must.

(In the voice of VADER) SY....I am your father!

S1

Edited by - S1 on 11/04/2010 10:20:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

DVS DSK
Gold Dot

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  6:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! IT JUST GETS BETTER & BETTER.. VERY NICE SYSKI! & WELL PUT UNI.....

DSK1
Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what are you looking for...........

http://projectlogan.tumblr.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FLASH ABC

what are you looking for...........

HEY FLASH YOU REMEMBER ALL THE CHUCKS AND BLACK SUEDE SHOES HANGING FROM THE TELEPHONE LINES ON SEASAME STREET...LOL

Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"""""LOOK OLD MAN WE NEVER SEEN NOTHING LIKE THAT""""" """"" WE ORGINAL """""""I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT. OOOPS !!! Now writers are getting up like that but they aint taking anyones Gym shoes.

On a serious note Im biting this . This is funny and it just another way to keep that old school flavor in bombing. props to the artist that did this.

Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  3:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FLASH ABC

"""""LOOK OLD MAN WE NEVER SEEN NOTHING LIKE THAT""""" """"" WE ORGINAL """""""I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT. OOOPS !!! Now writers are getting up like that but they aint taking anyones Gym shoes.

On a serious note Im biting this . This is funny and it just another way to keep that old school flavor in bombing. props to the artist that did this.

H_ELL NAW I LOVE IT BEST PIC I SEEN IN A WHILE...NEED ONE THAT SAYS LOGAN SQUARE.

Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  3:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

CHUMBLY0001
Pink Dot

5970 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  2:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY THANKS 4 THE INVITE. MAYBE U CAN PICK UP THE PHONE SOMETIME. PEACE OUT.
Go to Top of Page

FAZEONE MADCREW

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  3:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey SY, it's been a long minute!! You got anymore Ol'Skool interviews coming up the pike? We still ain't heard from RISK or PROVE yet!!

FAZEONE
MADCREW

Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CHUMBLY0001

HEY THANKS 4 THE INVITE. MAYBE U CAN PICK UP THE PHONE SOMETIME. PEACE OUT.

maybe you can get a phone one of these years

Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  6:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FAZEONE MADCREW

Hey SY, it's been a long minute!! You got anymore Ol'Skool interviews coming up the pike? We still ain't heard from RISK or PROVE yet!!

SUP FAZE, I HAVE BEEN SLACKING ON THE INTERVIEWS GOT GET BACK INTO IT BRO AND YES RISK AND PROVE WOULD BE A GOOD TO DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE MAYBE IF YOU HOOK IT UP I WILL PICK UP THE PEN AGAIN.

Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know we havent done one in a while but here is one on STEF TCH XMEN.

http://dangerouslee.biz/2013/01/09/meet-graffiti-queen-stef1/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Chicago Graffiti © ABC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000